Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Long Overdue, but no one really cares, Update

So...

I really should have updated this a long time ago. As it stands here, I left the events of the last year unlisted on this website, yet the whole StumbleMuse project has taken off. For someone who claims to be a "writer," I really should blog. But the term "blog" is so discordant, as it sounds more like a bodily function, than the writing of sterling prose.

Anyway. We made a film for the 48 last year. On Time. Yay! The film was called "The Hickory Switch," and it was a somewhat charming, cute little flick about a Djinn in a Lamp, and a ClutterBug, and two crazy TV Show Hosts who invade the apartment. Our film wasn't heavy-hitting, but it screened First in BOTH of its screenings. Our film was the first "on time" submission in our regularly scheduled slot, and also the first slot in the "Best Of" screening. So, I was tickled by that, but I realize that you really want to be the LAST movie they show in a particular screening. One of these days, we will be. Still, we won an award for "Best Use of Character" and that was really cool. All of the movies had made these straightforward "clutter coaches." We made 2 TV show hosts, 2 versions of the required character, and even shot a commercial footage which showed on TV at the beginning of the film. We didn't deserve any major award, but we deserved that one, and I was pleased. It was an Honor to make the "Best Of" screening in my directing "debut."

Until about two weeks after the event... That's when one of my old film making cronies showed his manic moron side, and accused me of cheating. He did this because one of the Three Judges was my main film making partner, Mr. Jaysen Buterin. This particular film maker had made a somewhat arty film using projectors to stage scenes of violence. Although he thought highly of his own flick, it was somewhat obtuse, and hard to follow. What made high cinema to him didn't translate to others in the audience. He figured that I cheated. And he was wrong. I purposefully distanced myself from JB throughout the judging process. So, this particular film maker, who will remain unnamed, since I'm Classy Like that, accused me of cheating, and really soured my take on the whole weekend.

So... I never updated this blog... And Here we are... 50 days until the NEXT 48. I have the biggest 48 team I have ever built on hand for this year. Right now, we number 22. In past years, I have managed teams no bigger than 15... So, this is a step up. But with new people, come new hassles. Last year, I had like 4 people Bail on me at the last minute. I'm making sure I have enough to work with this year. StumbleMuse Productions is ready for the 2011 48 Hour Film Project.

I see the Executive Producer today at lunch, and she's handing me the check to register.

Other teams in Greensboro better watch out! We'll be registered before the weekend!

-"Stumbles"

No comments:

Post a Comment