Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Rise of Krampus...

It felt so nice to update the blog this morning, that I thought I would strike while the iron was hot, and add a second piece this evening that would explain the goings on at StumbleMuse Headquarters since the 48. Not that any such headquarters really exists, but it does add a certain legitimacy to a purely artful endeavor if you sound "corporate." Since my Mom is my one registered reader, she'll appreciate the air of professionalism. But surely I digress...

In January, I teamed up with a guy named Louis Bekoe to produce a 30 minute holiday "slasher" flick called "A Killer Christmas Carol." It was based on an old Bulgarian myth where Santa Claus had a deviant, twisted twin called Krampus. Santa managed the Nice list, while Krampus managed the Naughty. And as you can imagine, Krampus handles events with a certain hairball inducing, blood spewing aplomb that quite alters the spirit of Christmas.

The script was about 30 pages, and presented some interesting challenges. We worked hard throughout the month of January to produce the screenplay, suffered through some drama coming from Actors (of course), but finished the project on the last day of January. Louis worked hard on editing the film, and the sound is extremely robust and inviting. That's a quality that previous Mad Ones productions have lacked. We have brought on a new sound guru to start working this month on HPJ3, but in the meantime, it was reassuring to see what Louis could do. I'll be working with him a lot in the future, as he has joined the Mad Ones, and will be partnering with me on the StumbleMuse 48 in 50 days.

The film premieres later this month with a screening at Pin Ups here in Greensboro, and with a hopeful screening at ConCarolinas next month in Charlotte. We'll find out about that soon. I am really proud of the work I did, how I managed problems with a professional attitude, and overall, how I contributed to the set in a beneficial, helpful way. It was a different sort of project than a Mad Ones deal, and I earned my pay for sure. Which was nothing. But I do take pride in seeing "StumbleMuse Productions" in the opening titles, and feel that this was a great "sophomore project." Now I am gearing up for the 48, and for busy months ahead.

I registered my team today for the 2011 48 Hour Film Project in June. My wonderful, awesome Executive Producer wrote me the check, and I registered the team immediately. We have 50 days until the competition, and I'm really excited for this year's project. And that will be the topic for next time... Which will be sooner than one year...

No comments:

Post a Comment